These stupendous, brass sconces were originally early gas lights, c. 1880’s. The oval-shaped, brass back plates are rope banded and feature a garland of foliage draped on either side of the back plate’s crest. Mounted to the center of the back plate, a raised pebble-style union is used to fasten sconce arm to back plate. An impressive S-curve, the sconce arm on the underside of the “pebble” sprouts outward morphing to become two addorsed curls, which display cast and leafy forms. The arm branches up from the “pebble” to meet an Adam-style wreath-and-ribbon gas key within the curve’s dip. Resting within the fitters is a superb acid-etched glass shade. Each shade features foliate and floret etchings. These wall lamps are in excellent condition with no chips, cracks or breaks to the shades. The shades display the expected “flea biting” of shades of this age, but this does not detract from the beauty of these in any way and cannot be seen when the shades are in place. While they were originally gas lamps, they have been professionally rewired, and come with all the necessary attachments for modern electric installation. We have not drilled the gas key in anyway; therefore, for the serious collector, these could easily be converted back to the original gas form. These are 10” long, 7 ½” wide and protrude 12” from the wall.